Experience the essence
of Japanese culture
Turn yourself into a Maiko or Geisha in Kyoto
We provide joyful and inspiring opportunities for international visitors
from all over the the world to experience Japanese culture,
continuing the traditions of beauty and hospitality in Japan as a studio
that specializes in Maiko and Geisha makeover experiences.
Turn yourself into a Maiko or Geisha in Kyoto.
We love Kyoto and we love the world of the maiko. It is our pleasure to provide you with an impressive and fun experience through traditional Kyoto culture.
At our studio you can turn yourself into a maiko complete with real traditional wigs, kimonos, obis, shoes and accessories. And then you can have a studio portrait made, take your own photos and walk around on the fabulous old streets that are just minutes from our front door.
Our staff extend a warm welcome to you.
Let us turn you into a Japanese maiko.
Thank you for writing about us on your blog!!
- How to do a Geisha and Maiko Makeover in Kyoto Japan
- MAIKO MAKEOVER BY GION AYA
- [You Tube] Maiko Makeover by GION AYA
- The Day I Became An Apprentice Geisha
- Maiko & Geisha makeover experience in Kyoto
- In Which I am a Gaijin Geisha
- Japan: Pretending To Be A Geisha-In-Training
- [You Tube] Vlog Giappone | MAIKO EXPERIENCE IN GION
- 3 HOURS IN THE LIFE OF A GEISHA
- THE BEST MAIKO MAKEOVER EXPERIENCE IN KYOTO, JAPAN
- [You Tube] Giesha & Maiko Makeover in the heart of Gion Quarter, Kyoto, Japan
- JAPAN DAY 3
- My Maiko Makeover in Kyoto
- [You Tube] Maiko Makeover at AYA Gion Kyoto Japan
- A Geisha Transformation in Kyoto
- BLACK GEISHA/MAIKO EXPERIENCE
- The quintessential Kyoto experience: becoming a maiko for the day! 【Pics & video】
- [You Tube] Maiko Makeover at Gion | 祇園での舞妓体験
- Japan | Maiko experience
- แชร์ประสบการณ์ไมโกะที่กิอง (เกียวโต)
- How to Experience Maiko in Kyoto Step by Step
- Memiors of a Geisha (for a day)
AYA’s exceptional makeup skills have received the professional stamp of approval from the traditional manufacturers of maiko cosmetics. All aspects of your makeup are individually tailored to you. And we only select kimonos made from 100% Kyoto silk.
Our professional photographer from Higashiyama in Kyoto will ensure you look your most beautiful as a maiko. He prides himself on being the best in the business in Japan, and will capture a permanent photographic record of you that will surely exceed your expectations.
The AYA studio was an authentic teahouse during the Taisho Period, a Kyo-machiya establishment where Maiko would perform. As soon as you step outside, you are enveloped in the quintessential Kyoto townscape.
The AYA studio was also a performance venue for real maiko during the Taisho Period. The vintage items arranged in the alcoves and on shelves, such as kakejiku scrolls, containers, and a Japanese-style clock, will help to bring out the maiko spirit in our guests.
Enjoy the building’s tsuboniwa, or interior garden, which evokes the traditional Kyoto machiya spirit with its restrained elegance. Natural sunlight will illuminate you during the day, while mood lighting will lend a fairytale quality to shots of you taken at night. And the varied characteristics of the four seasons will lend their own special charm to your appearance as a maiko.
AYA is located in the middle of an area of Kyoto replete with famous tourist spots, such as Yasaka Shrine and Kodaiji Temple. We strongly suggest you choose the option of a stroll in maiko costume in this prime location. Exterior photography can begin as soon as you step outside.
Your maiko photography package will be ready for you to pick up on the day of shooting. You also have the option of purchasing all data files on a CD-R. We will provide natural skin cleansers and cosmetics that are kind to your skin. There is no need for you to bring anything for the Maiko transformation process.
※Please bring supplies of your own everyday makeup for reapplication after your Maiko Experience.
Our staff study basic English so as to best meet the needs of our oversees guests. Please feel free to contact us by phone or email with enquiries or requests for a reservation in English. All of us here at AYA await the opportunity to make your Maiko Experience with us a fabulous memory for you!
Copyright 2014. Maiko Makeover Experience in Kyoto Giwon AYA KYOTO JAPAN. All rights reserved.